Here’s a granola recipe in keeping with the flavors of the season.
And the bonus is, unlike gingerbread or gingerbread cookies, it is full of fiber and healthy fats.
Kelly Abramson MS, RD is a dietitian and Certified Intuitive Eating Counselor who works with clients in Alexandria, VA and virtually via telehealth. She guides women as they break free from dieting to find joy in food and their bodies. Kelly blogs regularly at NpowerYou.com and has created a free e-book for download, “7 Steps to Overcome Stress Eating.”
- Prep Time: 10m
- Cook Time: 55m
- Total Time: 1h 5m
- Yield: 4 cups
- Category: Healthy Snacks
- 5 tbsp. pure maple syrup (I prefer amber syrup for a richer flavor)
- 3 tbsp. molasses
- 3 tbsp. water
- 1/4 c coconut oil
- 1/2 tsp. ground cloves
- 1 1/2 tsp. ground ginger
- 1 tsp. ground cinnamon
- 3 c old fashioned rolled oats
- 1/2 tsp. fine sea salt
- 1/2 c raw hazelnuts, roughly chopped
- 1/2 c raw almonds, roughly chopped
- Preheat oven to 275 degrees F.
- Line a large metal cookie sheet with parchment paper or a silicone baking mat
- In a small saucepan over medium heat, heat maple syrup, molasses, water, coconut oil and spices, stirring frequently, until coconut oil is fully melted.
- Combine oats, nuts and salt in a large mixing bowl and stir to mix.
- Pour warm liquid mixture over oat mixture and stir to coat well. Continue to toss ingredients together for 1 minute to make sure spices are evenly distributed.
- Pour granola mixture onto a large cookie sheet. Using a spoon or rubber spatula, make an even layer of the granola mixture across the entire surface of the cookie sheet, pressing down lightly as you go.
- Bake granola on center rack for 30 minutes.
- Remove from oven. Stir granola thoroughly to redistribute ingredients. Make granola into another even layer, patting down gently again.
- Bake for an additional 25 minutes.
- Remove from oven and let granola cool completely on cookie sheet, 15-30 minutes. Granola will seem a bit soggy when removed from oven but will crisp while it cools.
- Store in an airtight container for up to 2 weeks. Enjoy!