15 Minute Black Bean Soup
Kelly Abramson MS, RD is a dietitian and Certified Intuitive Eating Counselor who works with clients in Alexandria, VA and virtually via telehealth. She guides women as they break free from dieting to find joy in food and their bodies. Kelly blogs regularly at NpowerYou.com and has created a free e-book for download, “7 Steps to Overcome Stress Eating.”
- Prep Time: 5m
- Cook Time: 10m
- Total Time: 15m
- Serves: 4 servings
- Category: Soups
- 2 tbsp. olive oil
- 1 c chunky jarred salsa (I like Green Mountain Gringo brand)
- 2 - 14.5 oz cans no salt added black beans, drained and rinsed
- 32 fl oz chicken or vegetable stock or lower-sodium broth (I like Pacific organic brand)
- 1/2 tsp. salt
- optional garnishes: chopped fresh cilantro, cubed avocado, greek yogurt, fresh lime juice, shredded cheddar cheese
- Heat olive oil in a 4 quart saucepan until it starts to shimmer.
- Add salsa to pan and cook until it bubbles and becomes fragrant, approximately 3 minutes.
- Add beans and stock to pan. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat and simmer for 10 minutes.
- Using an immersion blender, puree soup in the saucepan until it is smooth. Some small bits of beans may remain. You can also use a regular blender, but you will need to blend the soup in batches. Hot soup will expand in the blender, so never fill it more than halfway.
- Add salt to taste and stir to blend.
- Ladle into bowls and top with garnishes, if desired. Enjoy!